Women In "Men's" Jobs...


Miss Chiatiah Pauline Forlepia received her award from the RD MINPROF Wirba Hasan

"My Family almost disowned me as I venture into 'men's' job". Miss Chiatiah Pauline Forlepia is one out of the 10 women who were recognized by the state of Cameroon during activities marking the 2023 celebration of Women's Day in Bamenda, the Capital City of the North West Region on Wednesday, March 8. The 28 years old single who had been into electric welding for nine years today says, her family almost disowned her when she dived into the trade believed to be for men only. She went into welding works after failing on several attempts to pass a government concur.

RD MINPROF,  NW Governor, and Miss Chiatiah ( from left to right)

"Women were being marginalized as men never believe we could do this work. After my Advance Level Certificate, I wrote several concurs to no avail. Then I decided to engage in learning handwork and welding was the only thing that I could ever imagine so that I could stop relying on the government and rather give the government something. At the start, it was hell between me and my family who never loved the idea", she said.

       A family picture with other recipients

She continued, "The first day I started work, my sister almost pull me out of the garage but God was so kind, I stood my ground. There at the workshop, I was the lone lady, and the other boys treated me so poorly thinking am just wasting my time. Even when customers came, they will not love to give their work to me just because I was a woman.  I have to gather courage and learn the trade and today, I have my workshop and have graduated one young man already and two are still under training with me. I am offering free training to any young girl who showed up. My family later realized that it was just a matter of time to do a 'man's' job", Chiatiah Pauline Forlepia narrated her story.

Comments

Popular Posts